Monday 17 September 2007

Facts and Photos



During the Anglo-Boer War, 27,000 Boers 
became prisoners of war of the British. 
They were sent to faraway places like India, 
Ceylon, Bermuda, Portugal etc.

Burghers and their families, 
who crossed the Transvaal/Portuguese East African border 
ahead of the advancing British troops, 
were interned in Caldas da Rainha, 
Peniche and Alcobaça in Portugal.

School der Boerenkinderen te Caldas da Rainha, Portugal

Prisoners were not allowed to return to South Africa, 
unless they swore allegiance to the British Crown 
and promised not to assist "His Majesty's enemies". 
On signing they were issued with a permit 
like this one below.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ek is Oom Boetie se kleinseun!!!
Ek het dieselfde ballingskap foto van HA Smit as wat jy het!

Kontak my asb dringend by karl@fresh-fish.co.za

Unknown said...

Hi Tisha.

I am Oom Boetie(Hendrik Adolf Smit), grandson! Please contact me asap at karl@fresh-fish.co.za There is so much that I want to ask you!

Karl Smit

Hilton said...

Hello Tisha

My grandmother, Petronella Catherine Eaton was born in a British camp in Caldas da Rainha in 1902. I wonder if you have any more information on the Camp ?

Best regards
Hilton Trollip

Unknown said...

Hi Tisha,

I have hit a dead end looking for my great grandfather's ancestors...Christoffel Johannes Smit, he married hester Pretorius, he was originally married in the freestate.
My grandmother was Marthina Sophia Smit - Married Jurie Jacobus Bezuidenhout. Where can I look? Any ideas?